Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Like the Wind


Inspired by my sister, I've decided give biking to work a go. Lets hope this goes better than the running! I recently found out that I probably have the easiest bike to work in the city. I get on a bike path at the end of my street and get off at the end of the street I work on. It's about 10 K and mostly flat. Who can complain?

So on Saturday, GB and I went to a local bike shop and picked up a couple of new city bikes - 30% off no less. I didn't have one to begin with and GB's current one is 15 years old and weighs a tonne. So him getting one was a little treat to himself :) Plus we now have a spare for when people come to visit.

I was a little wobbly getting on the bike for test drive but after a couple of minutes, it felt great. I had forgotten how wonderful it feels! I'm looking forward to going on weekend bike rides with GB just like my family used to do when I was a kid. No pop-a-wheelies gone bad this time though - I know better!

Today I took it out to check out my route and I did what I think is about 2/3rds of the way in about 20 minutes. Looks like my bike ride to work will be a lot faster than TTC, and I'll be getting in shape to boot!

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Mary F said...

Good luck. I agree that biking is a lot more pleasant than running. Just be careful with those dismounts.

Anonymous said...

omg. the shoes.....please tell me you didnt buy the cycling shoes.......